What is bile?
Bile is a fluid produced by the liver and stored in the gall bladder. The pipes that transport bile from the liver to the gall bladder and then from the gall bladder to the intestines are called bile ducts. Bile consists of cholesterol, bile acids, bilirubin, water, body salts (like potassium and sodium), copper and other metals.
What does bile do?
1) It supports digestion and absorption of fatty foods.
2) It maintains an appropriate level of good bacteria and yeast in the intestines thereby protecting gut health.
3) Promotes the process called peristaltic action which aids the movement of fecal matter through the body and finally its ejection.
4) Bile is used by the liver to get rid of any waste matter. It thus helps in the detoxification of the liver.
What happens if the bile stops flowing properly through the body?
If bile isn’t flowing properly through the body the following conditions may occur:
4) Acid Reflux
6) Gall bladder disease
7) Non-alcoholic fatty disease
8) Cholangiosarcoma or bile duct cancer
What can cause bile disorders?
1) Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis
-The bile ducts inside and outside are inflamed and become narrow so that the free flow of bile from the liver gets obstructed. This disease is caused by an abnormal immune reaction. The symptoms are as follows:
- Bleeding within the digestive tract
- Abdominal swelling
2) Autoimmune hepatitis
– This happens when the body starts annihilating its own liver cells. If this is left untreated it can lead to liver cirrhosis. The symptoms are as follows:
- Dark yellow urine
- Light-colored stools
- Yellowing of the skin and eyes
- Joint pain
– Most common form of bile duct blockage is gallstones. This presents an obstruction in the natural path taken by the bile produced in t he liver.
– In other words cancer of the bile ducts also leads to blockage of bile ducts which hampers the flow of bile.
5) Liver cirrhosis
– Chronic inflammation of bile ducts will lead to permanent scarring of the liver.
How can curcumin help in prevention and treatment of biliary diseases?
Apart from a healthy lifestyle which includes exercise, a balanced diet and avoiding stress, curcumin supplements can also help prevent and treat biliary disorders.
1) Curcumin has been known to prevent the formation of gallstones. It reduces cholesterol and lipids in the bile. However, it should be taken in the form of supplements only to prevent gallstones and not in the treatment of existing ones.
2) In case of cholangitis, curcumin can be helpful as it reduces the inflammation caused. Due to the strong anti-inflammatory properties of curcumin, it is effective in reducing any form of inflammation that may occur in the body due to cholangitis.
3) Curcumin stops the proliferation of cells and thus prevents fibrosis.
4) In case of Cholangiosarcoma, curcumin and its antioxidant properties help in causing the destruction of cancer cells. Curcumin reduces the production of Reactive Oxygen Species or commonly known as ROS that cause oxidative stress in the body. The reduction of oxidative stress in turn helps in managing cancer.
5) Curcumin prevents liver injury due to cholestasis by controlling the amount of bile produced.
6) Liver fluke, which is a parasitic condition caused due to consumption of uncooked fish affects the liver and the bile ducts. Inflammation cause by liver fluke can also be brought down by taking curcumin supplements.
Bagdara Farms has brought to us a supplement known as Livturm which helps in safeguarding our liver and bile ducts against liver and biliary diseases. It is made of 100% natural and organic curcumin which is grown with no chemical insecticides or pesticides. Produced in the pristine environs of a farmland that is set in the midst of Bandhavgarh jungles, the curcumin that is added to these supplements is pure and will cause absolutely no side effects. As a result it is safe to administer this to people of all age groups without any fear.
Click here for more details : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28196290