Like humans, the kidney in dogs is also a very vital organ with similar functions. They are made up of small structural and functional units called nephrons. Millions of nephron filters act as a filtration system that secretes waste products and reabsorb essential substances back into the blood.
It performs many functions like regulating blood pressure, blood volume, blood sugar, water composition, and pH levels. In lay man’s language, kidney disease in dogs includes many disorders and metabolic problems that can disrupt the normal functioning of the dog’s kidneys.
The disease develops gradually, and dogs eventually lose the total functioning of their kidneys. Dogs over the age of 10 years are more prone to kidney diseases as their body starts deteriorating as they age.
Acute kidney disease or kidney failure can abruptly stop kidney functions in a matter of a few days. It can occur due to the ingestion of toxins like certain foods, medications, etc. Any underlying illness, congenital and hereditary issues can lead to chronic kidney disease in dogs. According to some studies, even dental infections in dogs that are ignored can be a reason for kidney diseases, Bacteria enter the bloodstream and attack the principal organs like the heart, liver, and kidneys causing irreversible damage.
Dogs with Kidney Diseases show a Few of These Symptoms:
- Weight loss and vomiting
- Loss or decreased appetite
- Oral ulcers are a common sign during the last stages of kidney disease
- Change in water consumption and urine volume
- Depression and stumbling/lethargy
- Pale gums and chemical odor of breathe
- Blood in urine
There can be Many Causes of Kidney Diseases in Dogs:
- Age and genetics: With growing age, a dog’s kidney can be put under strain due to excessive toxin and protein accumulation.
- Addison’s disease: Adrenal glands are situated one each on top of the kidney. Addison’s disease occurs because of poorly acting adrenal glands which result in the imbalance of essential salts like potassium, sodium, and water.
- Kidney stones are caused by increased levels of calcium, infection, and urine with high pH.
- Bacterial urinary tract infections can cause kidney failure.
- Ingestion of toxic substances like grapes, dried raisins, and certain medications can damage the dog’s kidneys.
Curcumin can be one of the best solutions for kidney diseases in dogs. The anti-inflammatory property of curcumin can bring down the inflammation that is the cause of many health conditions. It is also a great antioxidant that brings down the levels of free radicals in the body. Buy Barkumin and Give your dogs a healthy life free from infections and diseases.