Whenever we talk about skin cancer and methods to lower our risk of contracting it, the first thing that comes to mind is using sunscreen religiously every day, irrespective of whether we are anticipating an excursion in the sun or not. While sun-kissed skin may be a coveted look for many, it is vital to keep your skin shielded appropriately from the harmful effects of the UVA and UVB radiations emitted by the sun.
Aside from direct exposure to the sun, using tanning facilities that offer an artificially created bronzed look is also one of the causes for the development of skin carcinoma as they use UV radiations to brown the skin. Needless to say, it is crucial for everyone, the fair-skinned ones as well as those with darker skin tones, to protect their skin by slathering ample amount of sunscreen with SPF levels higher than 15 irrespective of whether they anticipate overexposure to the sun or not.
Besides using sunscreen, one can also explore some natural remedies as part of one’s diet and skin care routine to make the most of nature’s very own skin protectants. One of the most effective natural gifts that avert skin damage and keeps subsequent malignancies at bay is curcumin. A polyphenolic pigment that is found in abundance in turmeric, curcumin is popular as a therapeutic compound that can be used to manage a variety of skin-related maladies.
Benefits of Curcumin to Lower the Risk of Skin Cancer:
- Curcumin has the ability to increase the quantity of p53 protein in the body. This substance is known to trigger apoptosis or cell death specifically in cancer cells, thus reducing their number as well as hampering their tendency to spread to other healthy parts of the body. Curcumin is also able to boost the generation of other factors like BAX and p38 that promote apoptosis.
- Angiogenesis, the process of development of new blood vessels that feed cancerous growths and allow them to flourish, is quite undesirable in cancer patients. Certain factors like VEGF in the human body are known to trigger this process. Curcumin can stop angiogenesis by inhibiting multiple pathways that support it.
- Curcumin is a well-known immunity booster that helps strengthen T cells and B cells to fight cancer cells effectively.
- The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects of curcumin are very useful in repairing the skin post-sun damage. By reducing the oxidative stress created as a result of too many free radicals in the body, curcumin helps inhibit the development and multiplication of cancer cells. It also soothes sunburnt skin so that it heals quickly without too much pain.
- Curcumin safeguards the body from the severe side effects of certain chemo drugs. Toxicities that affect the heart, intestines and nervous system are a common fallout of chemotherapy. Regular consumption of curcumin during chemotherapy is useful in toning down the intensity of these side effects.
Dermaturm, a curcumin enriched supplement created by the folks at Bagdara Farms, is a great product for the skin. Not only can it be applied topically to heal skin wounds, sunburns, and infections, but it can also be consumed orally to boost the body’s immunity and to protect the skin from falling prey to cancerous cells. Baagdara Farms is a unique agricultural initiative that focuses on cultivating high-quality curcumin that is used to create supplements that are effective in treating a host of diseases.
The purity of the curcumin grown here is ascertained by using only the best organic farming techniques available. All adulterants and chemicals are kept away from the crops and as a result, the curcumin that comes out of these farms is idle for making health supplements. Try Dermaturm for keeping your skin well protected from the sun as well as for taking care of any skin related problem that you might be facing and watch as all they take your leave for good.