Alcoholism and Depression – Is There A Natural Way to Beat The Two?
Alcohol is a common sight in society today. From a daily wage earner to a jet-setter with deep pockets, everyone enjoys a drink or two once in a while. For many, a couple of drinks over the weekend is a good way to unwind and de-stress after a hectic work week. For others, one beer after work every day is the norm. While alcohol may not be the best for your body, an occasional drink does not cause much harm. However, there is a fine line between social drinking and alcoholism.
Some people try to find solace at the bottom of a bottle while dealing with a difficult situation like a painful breakup, a work-related catastrophe, or a personal tragedy. At first, alcohol seems like a great way to numb the pain and dull the senses. People who have had traumatic experiences may find being in a drunken stupor a quick escape from all the disturbing recollections of the event. However, it is worth keeping in mind that even though in the beginning a state of drunkenness might seem alluring when fighting depression, slowly the excess alcohol in your body starts fuelling the depression instead of suppressing it.
Let us see the Biological Mechanism of this Vicious Cycle.
Alcohol has many adverse effects on the brain that exacerbate the symptoms of depression further. Some of these effects are:
- Alcohol reduces the level of neurotransmitters like serotonin and norepinephrine which act as mood enhancers usually.
- Alcohol works negatively on the nervous system by dampening the effects of stress hormones.
- It increases the chances of seizures, maniacal behaviour, and other similar psychological issues.
- Alcohol hampers the body’s ability to sleep well and recuperate from any physical or mental problem.
- Excess alcohol reduces the level of folic acid in the body causing accelerated ageing of the brain as well as a higher chance of dementia.
The first few time you try drowning your sorrow in alcohol, it may seem to work, but slowly your body will start depending on the alcohol which in turn will worsen the depression, making you drink more. To break this cycle, an effective natural remedy that involves curcumin is the answer. Curcumin, a phytochemical that has been lauded for centuries by Ayurvedic medics for its amazingly broad spectrum healing properties, is a pigment found in turmeric. The research team at farmland called Bagdara Farms in Katni, Madhya Pradesh figured how curcumin could help alcoholics get rid of their drinking problem as well as the chronic depression that comes along with it. Using this knowledge, they created a supplement called Alchorid that contains pure curcumin grown locally using organic farming techniques.
Alchorid has Several Benefits when it comes to Fighting Alcohol-Induced Depression. Here are some Examples:
- The first, most significant effect of curcumin on the mind and body of an alcoholic is an increased production of dopamine, a neurotransmitter that affects our quality of sleep. As a result of excessive alcohol consumption, the body refuses to produce a sufficient amount of dopamine by itself. This leads to disturbed sleep and constant tiredness that lingers throughout the day.
- Curcumin is an antioxidant that tops the list of free radical scavenging substances like green tea, dark chocolate, etc. In case of alcohol abuse too, curcumin helps in protecting the brain from the harmful effects of alcohol by exerting its antioxidant properties and reducing the level of oxidative stress. Anxiety and depression that are usually a result of the neural mayhem caused by too much alcohol over time can be managed better by taking a dose of Alchorid every day along with staying away from the bottle.
- Alcohol can trigger chronic inflammation in the body that affects not just organs like the liver but also the brain cells and their interconnections. Curcumin can lower the level of inflammation all over the body by inhibiting the activity of pro-inflammatory chemicals in the body, therefore, averting damage to the brain that can cause psychological symptoms like depression.
Alchorid can help you immensely if you are battling depression linked to your drinking problem. A daily dose of this natural elixir will help you get rid of all the symptoms of alcoholism as well as give you renewed motivation to stay away from all things alcoholic for good!