Diabetes is one of the lifestyle diseases that is affecting many people off late. Medically, it is a condition in which sugar or glucose levels in the blood becomes too high due to faulty glucose metabolism in the body. In short, insulin is the enzyme produced by the pancreas which converts excess glucose to glycogen ( stored in the liver). In the case of diabetes, either insulin production is hampered or the body cannot use it for proper glucose metabolism. The sad part is that diabetes is a health condition which will last the entire lifetime and can be controlled by better lifestyle management.
Diabetes is of three types- type 1, type 2 and gestational diabetes. Let’s have a look at how each one of them is caused:
- Type 1 Diabetes- This condition happens when the insulin-producing cells of the pancreas are damaged resulting in non-production of insulin.
- Type 2 Diabetes- A more common type of diabetes, insulin is not produced in the required amount or not used effectively used by the body.
- Gestational diabetes- This type of diabetes occurs in pregnant women and it generally goes away after giving birth to the baby.
Some of the common signs and symptoms of diabetes are frequent urination, fatigue, weight loss, dehydration, weight loss or gain, blurred vision, hunger etc.
A more natural way of treatment of diabetes is always better than taking medicines. The medications or treatment of diabetes has many side effects like anemia, liver damage, diarrhea, skin rashes, bloating, dizziness. Curcumin is one of the most potent treatments for diabetes. Curcumin is a polyphenolic compound found in the turmeric roots. There is a volley of shreds of evidence supporting the above fact.
How Curcumin helps in Diabetes
- Curcumin helps to normalize blood sugar levels. The low insulin levels are due to the malfunctioning of beta- cells of the pancreas that produce insulin. As a result of this, the excess of glucose in the blood cannot be converted into a form that can be easily stored. Since curcumin has antihyperglycemic activity it significantly lowers down the blood sugar levels. It also enhances the activity of beta cells of the pancreas by inhibiting an enzyme called phosphodiesterase.
- The antioxidant activity of curcumin helps to prevent a number of complications that can arise due to diabetes. Some of the common complications of diabetes are retinopathy or retina damage, neuropathy (nerve damage), cardiovascular issues, nephropathy or kidney damage etc.
- Diabetes is one condition in which the smallest of the wounds also does not heal quickly. Diabetic foot is one such condition characterized by the loss of sensation and delayed wound healing. This delayed wound healing is due to poor circulation of blood caused by high blood sugar levels. It can ultimately lead to infection to all the affected tissues of the foot, at times also requiring amputation of the limbs. In such a case, curcumin hastens the process of wound healing preventing the severity of the wound.
- Curcumin can also help diabetic patients to lose and control their weight by its anti-inflammatory action. Obesity can cause a gradual progression of insulin dysfunction and resistance.
A few points to keep in mind before you start taking curcumin. It may cause acid reflux, diarrhea, bloating. It can also interfere in drug metabolism. A 3-4 hours gap must be maintained between taking curcumin and any medication.