Inflammation is a common term that we keep coming across in our daily lives but what is it exactly? In the simplest sense, inflammation is a process by which our immune system protects us from various kinds of infections. To be more specific, we can say that it is a way in which the leucocytes or the white blood cells of the body produce certain substances which offer protection from disease-causing factors.
We can say that inflammation is the necessary evil in many ways. The problem starts arising when these immune cells start overreacting, then the inflammation is against our organ systems. Such health conditions are called autoimmune disorders wherein the body’s protective cells start attacking its own cells sensing them as foreign. There are many disorders which are associated with an overactive immune system and inflammation.
Let’s Have a Look at Some of the Diseases that can be Caused by Excessive Inflammation in our Body:
- Harmful for the gut- There are good bacteria living in our gut which help in keeping an overall good health. Too much of inflammation in the body for a long period of time can result in diseases like IBS ( inflammatory bowel syndrome), Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis etc.
- Heart diseases- Chronic inflammation can set even inside the blood vessels due to the formation and deposition of fatty plaques. There seems to be a high risk of heart diseases due to inflammation in case of obesity and an unhealthy lifestyle.
- Cancer- the uncontrolled growth of cells in the short and sweet definition of cancer but have we ever wondered, what triggers this process? Many studies say that when the cells of the immune system start giving rise to an excess of inflammation, it gives a perfect environment for the cancer cells to thrive and spread.
- Joint damage- Rheumatoid arthritis is the apt example of joint damage due to excess of inflammation. This results in severe pain and stiffness in the inflamed joints making easy movements difficult.
- Disturbed sleep- High levels of proteins causing inflammation in the blood can lead to the disturbed sleep pattern. Too much of stress is also related to inflammation in the body.
- Lung diseases- Fluid accumulation starts taking place in the lungs if there is an excess of inflammation in the body. COPD, asthma and respiratory tract infections start affecting the lungs.
It is a scientifically proven fact that curcumin is one of the best known anti-inflammatory agents since time immemorial. Along with the antioxidants also help to bring down high levels of inflammation.