Beating the Specter of Oral Cancer with Curcumin
BEATING THE SPECTER OF ORAL CANCER WITH CURCUMIN
India is one of the leading countries when it comes to oral cancer related deaths. In India, the top most cause of oral cancer is consumption of tobacco. Tobacco chewing has been a difficult habit to break among the Indians and it is thus not a surprise that it causes the maximum number of oral cancer cases. Apart from this, it is estimated that by the year 2020, oral cancer will constitute 30% of Cancer incidences throughout the world. Just like any other form of cancer, oral cancer too occurs when there is an abnormal growth of cells anywhere in the mouth. It can show up in the form of lesions on the tongue, cheeks, gums, roof and floor of the mouth, in the tonsils and the salivary glands. The most common first signs of oral cancer are:
1) Red And White Patches On The Inner Lining Of The Mouth
2) Ulcers In The Mouth That Do Not Heal Quickly
3) Persistent Swelling
4) An Abnormal Growth Or Lump In The Mouth
5) Pain In The Throat When Swallowing
6) Unexplained Loosening Of Teeth
7) Hoarseness Of Voice
8) Persistent Pain In The Neck Or Ear
1) Cancer of the mouth is a very painful condition. If there are ulcers, they are usually painful and ghastly. Surgically extracting the abnormal growth is a treatment option that works when the cancer hasn’t metastasized to other parts of the body.
2) Radiation therapy is found to be particularly effective in case of oral cancer. In cases that are detected early on, radiation therapy can help root out the cancer completely without any need for other treatments
3) Targeted drug therapy uses monoclonal antibodies to alter the cancer cells in such a way that they cease to grow.
For centuries cancer has been one of the most dreaded diseases ever with most people quitting all hope of survival once diagnosed with it. The therapies used to treat cancer cause some very strong side effects which sometimes make the patient weaker. This is why an alternate treatment option that is natural and can work in conjunction with the standard treatments is much sought after. Curcumin is one such substance that has shown a lot of promise in the area of cancer treatment. Some aspects of Curcumin therapy in case of oral cancer are given below:
- Marilene Wang, professor of head and neck surgery as well as author of an investigation (published in ClinicalCancer Research), that studied Curcumin’s role in treating oral cancer and a researcher at the Jonsson Cancer Center states that Curcumin had a remarkable ability to inhibit the cell signaling pathway that then brings down the amount of pro-inflammatory cytokines present in the saliva that can promote cancer growth.
- Curcumin also has a tendency to bind itself to an enzyme known as IKK which activates a transcription factor known as nuclear factor kappa b which promotes growth of cancer cells Curcumin reduces the activity of this factor thereby hampering the progression of the cancer.
- HPV or the human papilloma virus is one of the leading causes of oral cancer. It is known to promote the growth of cervical and oral cancers. The antioxidant properties of Curcumin have the ability to slow down the effect of the HPV.
- It is also proven that Curcumin can inhibit the biological pathways that control mutagenesis, oncogene expression, cell cycle regulation, cell death in cancer cells (apoptosis) tumorigenesis and the proliferation of cancer cells or metastasis. It was also found that Curcumin enhances the effect of radiation therapy.
- Curcumin is also found to be effective in treating oral pre-cancer lesions known as leukoplakia.
With an increase in cases of oral cancer all over the world, there is obviously an increase in the demand for Curcumin supplements that are natural, unadulterated and without any chemical additives. It is very important to research not just the supplement but also the Curcumin used in it to ascertain that what you are buying is actually going to bring you benefit and not harm. Oral cancer is a Curcumin rich supplement made using Curcumin that is locally grown at Bagdara Farms. This Curcumin is absolutely pure and unadulterated and is grown using organic methods instead of chemical pesticides and fertilizers. Hence it contains no harmful residues and can be safely consumed in conjunction with standard cancer treatments. Try Oropharynim once and see for yourself the difference it brings to your life!