Scientists and doctors practicing sports medicine have for the longest time looked for an effective solution for the dreaded DOMS or Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness which is known to trouble most sportsmen and sportswomen the day following a tough workout. DOMS is known to sneak in after about 24 to 72 hours of an intense workout. Typically DOMS sets in when an individual indulges in an exercise that is higher in intensity than what they are used to doing on a regular basis. So, if you usually run 5 km every day and then suddenly one day you decide to go for a 10 km run instead, you will definitely experience some DOMS later.
The reason behind DOMS is tiny tears in the connective tissues of the muscles that have been exercised leading to inflammation and pain. When the same exercise or physical activity is done over and over again, the muscles adapt themselves accordingly thus ensuring that DOMS, or worse still, muscle damage doesn’t occur again.
Even though there is no way you can completely avoid DOMS, there are things that you can do to bring down the degree of pain you experience.
5 things that you can do to make sure that you do not have troubles the following day doing simple things
- Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate – There are many athletes who will tell you that their mantra to avoid muscle soreness is ‘drink to thirst’. It is important to drink lots of fluids not just to quench your thirst but also to flush out the muscles and maintain the body fluid level.
- Stretch those Muscles – Dynamic stretching that includes lunges, squats etc. can be very helpful in keeping DOMS to a minimum.
- EFT or Emotional Freedom Technique has been found to be quite helpful in bringing down the pain quickly. Walking without shoes on sand or on a bed of grass in the morning can help release the stress in the muscles.
- Do Not Depend On Painkillers – Almost all NSAIDs or standard painkillers should be avoided in the long term. This is because they are harsh on your liver, kidneys, and stomach and your muscles can quickly get used to these drugs making it resistant to their action.
- Get Those Super Foods On Your Plate – There are several superfoods for sports people that can dramatically decrease the intensity of pain that you feel after a workout. These foods also make your body stronger and boost your immunity thus keeping you in the best shape for any form of physical exertion. Examples of these foods are – Curcumin, Eggs, Beetroot, and Pomegranate.
Out of all of the above superfoods, there is one spice that seems to have an exceptionally good effect on the body. This super food or rather super spice is called curcumin. Curcumin is the main constituent of turmeric that can be found on almost all spice racks in Indian kitchens. It is loaded with several therapeutic properties that make it very popular amongst those who believe in holistic, natural healing. Here are some ways in which curcumin can help you manage DOMS:
- Curcumin has the ability to tone down the activity of creatine kinase which is an enzyme that promotes muscle damage post workout. This helps in reducing muscle inflammation and bringing down the soreness and pain.
- Curcumin is a strong antioxidant that can help neutralize harmful free radicals that are generated in the body as a result of DOMS. These free radicals are generated by the body as a result of a process known as a neutrophil respiratory burst. This process is important since the free radicals that it creates are responsible for removing the tissue residues after exercise-induced muscle damage has occurred. However, sometimes this process goes into an infinite loop wherein the removal of residual tissue debris triggers more muscle damage thus creating more debris and as a result making the body generate more free radicals. Curcumin stops this process at the right time by neutralizing the excess free radicals.
- Curcumin also has strong anti-inflammatory properties that help in slowing down the activity of pro-inflammatory chemicals and enzymes in the body. One of the most important inflammation-inducing molecule in nuclear factor kappa b since it is able to penetrate the nucleus of body cells and stimulate the inflammatory genes. This leads to the production of chemicals like cytokines that then cause pain, swelling, and other inflammation-related effects.
- Curcumin is known to stimulate certain neurotransmitters like dopamine and serotonin, both of which are mood elevators. This helps in relaxing the body and pulling it to sleep. A good night’s rest can do wonders for an athlete’s body by giving it time to recover and heal itself.
There are several curcumin supplements available in the market especially since there has been so much talk around curcumin and its umpteen benefits. Before choosing a supplement to help you manage DOMS better, it is important to ascertain the quality of curcumin used in the supplement. Curcumin laced with adulterants and chemical residues can do more harm to your body than good. Sportyheal-5X is a unique supplement created by an Indian venture called Bagdara Farms. This is a curcumin enriched supplement that is specifically made for those who are heavily into playing sports or exercising.
If you belong to that group of active people who are addicted to their daily fitness routine or their regular game of choice, you definitely need to add Sportyheal-5X to your diet. Order Sportyheal-5X online today and get it delivered right to your doorstep without any extra shipping charges!