A migraine is an ailment that afflicts approximately ten percent of the population across the board and has always been a formidable one. Not surprisingly, given today’s modern living conditions, the number is on the rise.
Whenever a migraine is experienced, a definite pattern is seen. The pain, which is very severe, occurs on only one side of the head and more often than not, radiates from the eye. During the attack, it could be any side of the head that could be affected and in the subsequent ones, it could be the other side. Invariably, these attacks of a migraine lead to episodes of irritability, depression, and even appetite loss. The major symptoms of an impending bout of a migraine are nausea, pounding pain, and in some cases vomiting.
The after effect of a migraine is very tiring and the afflicted often feels like being alone, resting in bed and that too devoid of light and noise as far as possible because these lead to avoidable irritations. One should be conscious of the fact that when this headache occurs, a feeling of tingling, numbness, or weakness in the arm or leg is experienced.
Some common causes of a migraine area brought out –
- A major cause is when one consumes food to which he is allergic to. These foods could include cheese, dairy products, chocolates, tea, coffee, and many more.
- Some people are affected by an overdose of bright lights. Other psychological aspects like fright, anger, depression are also known to be the causes of a migraine.
- In women, before the commencement of the menstrual period, the level of female hormones i.e. estrogen and progesterone fall. This sudden drop in the hormone levels causes a migraine.
- A weak constitution, overwork, irregular sleeping pattern, low energy levels, excessive drinking, and smoking could also be a few reasons which could lead to a migraine.
- Painkillers may provide temporary relief but they only suppress and do not remove the cause. It is commonly advocated that the body should be given time to heal naturally. Consuming medicines should never be the first resort.
Few Remedies to Tackle a Migraine Are-
- On the first day of the attack, a fruit diet is advised. These could include all fibrous fruits like pears, grapes, apples, oranges, pineapples, melon, and peaches.
- Dehydration is another major cause of a migraine. Our bodies should be well hydrated during this time. Hot foot baths and hot fomentation over the stomach and the spine provides immense relief.
- B complex vitamin supplements have also proved to be extremely beneficial for patients with a migraine. Not known to many, even Niacin has proven to be helpful in the treatment of a migraine.
- One should try having six small meals rather than a few large ones as most of us normally do. In any case, overeating is a strict ‘no’. As always advocated, processed foods such as sausages, ham, bacon should be religiously avoided as these aggravate the condition rather severely.
- An individual should indulge in plenty of physical activity including walking in the fresh air. Yoga and exercise have proved to be extremely beneficial in ensuring the blood to circulate to the system’s vital organs, thus getting rid of a migraine.
- Juice of drumsticks leaves also provides relief from headaches. Even a paste of ginger powder and water can be applied for 40 minutes which provides a lot of relief.
- While a migraine is on, lemon shots should be consumed as this ensures immediate cooling down of the body. Further, basil seeds could be added to the shots as these help in making the body alkaline immediately.
- Another addition to our daily diets should be magnesium-rich foods like cashews, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds.
- As far as possible, we should try to keep our system alkaline m. This will inherently put less load on the digestive system.
- Acupressure by a professional can be another worthwhile remedy which has known to give positive results.