‘Alcohol: temporary fun with permanent consequences’. Indeed a strongly apt quote on alcohol and it effects not only physically but mentally and socially as well. Well, enjoying a drink in moderation is not bad. The real trouble begins when people start using alcohol as an escape route for all the pressures and agonies in their lives. That’s when alcohol abuse springs up and leads to alcoholism. Alcoholism can be defined as the continued and compulsive use of alcoholic drinks where in it is a combination of physical compulsion and mental obsession.
Aditya used to be a very popular college going boy who was good in studies and excelled in sports. He had dreams of joining the Indian Army and making it big in life. As the years rolled by, Aditya started experiencing the long term side effects of alcohol like liver damage, reduced immune system and slow reasoning prowess. Something that had commenced as a fun thing with friends now was beginning to shatter his life. Let’s take the case of Sahil Singh, a successful banker and a happily married husband. Over a period of time, Sahil had made obtaining and consuming alcohol the only focus in his life. He started paying very less attention to his personal and professional responsibilities, had increased expression of anger and other inappropriate emotions and insomnia along with the other symptoms of alcohol dependency.
Keeping the above two cases in mind, the long term effects of alcoholism include:
- Overconsumption of alcohol can lead to three forms of liver damage i.e. cirrhosis (scarring of liver tissue), fatty liver and hepatitis.
- Alcohol interferes with the brain’s communication pathways and degenerates the brain cells, thus affecting the way in which the brain interprets situations and functions.
- Chronic alcohol abusers are more likely to develop cancers of throat, mouth and oesophagus.
- Frequent drinkers have depressed immunity giving them a hard time to ward off bacteria and viruses making them highly susceptible to tuberculosis and pneumonia.
- Women who drink beyond a certain limit pose a risk of thinning of bones (osteoporosis) and infertility. A pregnant woman’s heavy drinking can risk the life of the foetus growing inside and cause issue with mental development and also cause foetal alcohol syndrome.
- Let’s not forget the unfortunate events and crimes that take place under the influence of alcohol.
Having read about the dreadful effects of long term use of alcohol, the question that arises is how do we counter its effects? The answer lies in a humble root called turmeric and its potent component called curcuminoids out of which the most effective are curcumin and tumerone. There have been innumerable studies and experiments that go a long way in proving the potential benefits of curcumin to curb as well as reverse the effects of alcohol abuse. One of the purest forms of curcumin can be found in Alchorid, a product of Bagdara Farms where the turmeric is grown organically and free of any kinds of chemicals. It helps to ease away the symptoms of hangover by naturally detoxifying your body after a night of alcohol binging. Along with rehabilitation, Aditya, who was once a chronic alcoholic started using Alchorid to detoxify his body and to get rid of alcohol from his life. The properties of curcumin in the above product helped Aditya in the following ways:
- As the name suggests, neuroprotection is a clinical term which means protecting the brain and its surrounding nervous tissues. Curcumin protects the brain from alcohol toxicity and leads to its recovery.
- According to a recently published study, curcumin can decrease the rate of apoptosis of the hepatic cells, thereby preventing liver injury caused by alcohol poisoning.
- A study reported that alcohol causes the release of large amounts of lactate dehydrogenase, which in turn can lead to toxicity or poisoning of the liver. The magical curcumin can significantly reduce the levels of lactate dehydrogenase, thus preventing the cytotoxic effects induced by it on the liver cells.
- Hepatitis B virus can easily infect the liver of alcoholics leading to Hepatitis B infection. HBV acts as an added risk factor for chronic liver diseases like hepatocellular carcinoma. Curcumin and tumerone in turn were found to be effective in restricting the replication and gene expression of HBV.
- Curcumin can drastically improve the cognitive abilities of a person under the influence of alcohol by decreasing the levels of malondialdehyde in the brain tissues, thus preventing cognitive impairment.
- Alcohol toxicity cal lead to irritation of the stomach lining, thus inducing pain, vomiting, ulcers and gastric inflammation. The anti-inflammatory and anti oxidative properties of turmeric together help in protecting the sensitive stomach from alcohol toxicity.
- Various studies have shown that curcumin can be used as a complementary therapy along with other virus specific treatments for HBV.
The consumption of Alchorid is very hassle-free. One needs to add ½ tsp Alchorid, ½ tsp apple cider vinegar, ½ tsp lemon and ½ tsp honey in a cup of hot water. This concoction if taken twice a day can help tackling the hangovers and withdrawal symptoms. Want to free your system of the toxins? Just take ½ tsp of Alchorid and boil it with a cup of water. Add a dash of lemon and honey. You will feel rejuvenated as your body frees itself of all the unwanted toxins. It is suggested that one starts off with a small quantity and subsequently increase it. Now you can bid good bye to hangovers and alcohol toxicity!