Diabetes is a major chronic disease wherein a person’s blood sugar levels remain high because of the failure of body’s ability to regulate it. The most vital role in this disease is played by Insulin.
Insulin controls the blood sugar and is produced by the pancreas. Glucose or blood sugar acts as a fuel for various cellular activities. It is the function of insulin to move glucose from blood to the muscles, liver cells and fat, where it is stored eventually and used as fuel.
There are three main types of diabetes:
- Type 1 Diabetes: This is caused due to lack of insulin production.
- Type 2 Diabetes: This is caused because of the failure of cells to respond to insulin appropriately.
- Gestational Diabetes: This occurs in women during pregnancy because of high blood glucose levels.
Type 1 Diabetes is not treatable; however Type 2 Diabetes can be cured by changes made to one’s lifestyle as well as with use of medication. Turmeric is a perennial herb that helps in treating diabetes and its complications.
In this article we will go through various developments and studies that have been made in utilizing the amazing medicinal properties of curcumin to not only cure but also prevent pathological conditions associated with diabetes.
- There are various bio-active properties of turmeric and the most important components are curcuminoids and the volatile oil.
- Curcuminoids comprise of many components. However, the most potent of them is called curcumin. It is full of antioxidants and imparts the yellow color to the powder.
- Volatile oil contains different aromatic compounds out of which ar-tumerone and tumerone are considered medicinally most important.
Benefits of Sugeric in Diabetes
Curcumin in Sugeric helps with inflammation in Diabetes
- Sugeric also possess anti-inflammatory properties thereby reducing the activities of enzymes and proteins that mediate inflammation.
- It is a natural anti-inflammatory agent which prevents proliferation and inflammation in diabetic patients.
Sugeric reduces oxidative stress in Diabetes
- Oxidative stress that plays a big role in pathogenesis of diabetes is the loss of balance between body’s antioxidant defenses and production of reactive oxygen species.
- Sugeric, a potent antioxidant, helps in the reduction of oxidative stress observed in diabetes.
- Studies that have been conducted on humans show that curcumin works as an antioxidant and reduces heart risk in diabetes. It is also found to raise the level of antioxidant enzymes in diabetic patients.
Sugeric helps in lowering blood sugar levels
Sugeric functions in the body as an anti-hyperglycemic agent and helps in lowering the elevated blood sugar . Some of the ways it does that are as under –
- Helps in stimulating the production of insulin
- Helps in reduction of inflammation
- Helps in improving the activity of pancreas cells
- Helps in reducing the production of glucose by liver and also improves the sensitivity to insulin
- Helps in stimulating the utilization of glucose by the body
Studies done on humans show, how curcuminoids display their anti-diabetic effect, thereby regulating metabolic disorders.
Studies done on animals on the other hand show how turmeric supplements help in lowering blood sugar.
Sugeric repairs and regenerates pancreatic cells
- Experiments have shown how curcumin benefits autoimmune diabetes by regulating the immune cells which help to destroy beta cells of the pancreas which are necessary for insulin production.
- As per an animal study which was also published in Diabetology & Metabolic Syndrome, showed how curcumin not only helps in lowering blood sugar levels but also regenerates and repairs damaged pancreatic cells.
- One of the most researched topics currently is that of bone marrow transplantation in relation to diabetes. As per the studies, curcumins anti-oxidant properties along with bone marrow transplant can help in regenerating pancreas cells (A finding of great value for people with Type 1 Diabetes).
Sugeric helps in reversing pre-diabetes
- As mentioned above, Type 2 Diabetes is controllable by changes made in diet and lifestyle. A study was conducted on pre-diabetic patients who were given curcumin, and it was observed that because of its various properties, it helped in delaying the development of the disease.
- As a part of the study, there were 2 groups that were made of random people – one that was treated with curcumin and the other with placebo. They were asked to take daily 6(250 mg of curcuminoid) turmeric supplements for 9 months, post which there parameters were measured.
- Surprisingly the people who were given placebo – many developed diabetes, while none of the people treated with curcumin developed diabetes.
Sugeric helps in lowering cholesterol levels
- People with diabetes have more trouble with cholesterol metabolism than obesity alone.
- Although it affects both, Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetic patients, the curcumin in Sugeric plays a major role in lowering cholesterol, especially in Type 2 Diabetes patients.
- Various studies have been conducted on animals wherein they have found that curcumin reduces the cholesterol levels as well as the abnormalities in lipid by regulating the liver function.
How safe is it to take curcumin in diabetes?
It’s best to consult a health practitioner before taking curcumin supplements. It is also advisable to have a gap of 3-4 hours between taking curcumin and any other medication in order to avoid any drug interaction.
FAQS on sugeric & diabetes
Will curcumin lower blood sugar in diabetes?
- Curcumin in Sugeric possess natural anti-hyperglycemic agents that help in controlling the blood sugar levels in diabetes.
Does Sugeric help with only reducing the symptoms or also in completely healing diabetes?
- Primarily the curcumin in sugeric helps to improve insulin sensitivity, also lowers blood sugar and helps in improving the metabolic health in diabetic patients. It thus helps in managing this dreadful disease very effectively.
Click here for more details : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29164155